The question ‘what is Botox‘ is a topic that is often wondered. In this article, we will examine the topic ‘what is Botox‘ closely.
Botox; It is a medical protein obtained from the bacterium clostridium botulinum. It has been used safely and successfully in aesthetics to remove wrinkles for about 10 years. Botox is accepted as a non-surgical cosmetic product for removing moderate and deep wrinkles. In 2002, the US Food and Drug Administration Board (FDA) approved the use of cosmetics.
In Which Situations Botox is Used?
It has been used for many years in neurology, in the treatment of spastic muscle problems, and the treatment of eye diseases such as strabismus. In cosmetic dermatology, it is used especially for the reduction of skin wrinkles and the removal of excessive sweating (Hyperhydrosis) which is more common in some people.
How does the Botox Effect?
Dynamic lines are facial expression lines; during gestures (such as frowning, talking, laughing) occurs by contraction of small muscles under the skin. The contraction of these muscles settles over time, creating permanent lines and wrinkles. Botox provides the tension of the skin by blocking the passage of the nerves and ”preventing muscle contraction e in the injected area. These lines can be corrected early with botox treatment. Botox therapy alone can not provide adequate recovery when the lines deepen over time, other additional treatments are applied. (Laser, peeling, filler injection…)
Who is Botox Applied to?
Applicable to anyone between 18-65 years. It is especially used for the treatment of wrinkles on the face and neck. It is not recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding.
How to Apply Botox?
- The treatment of each patient is planned according to their muscle structure and skin characteristics.
- A local anesthetic cream may be applied before the procedure.
- Considering the muscle structure of the person, small doses of injections are applied to the determined wrinkle points with very fine-tipped needles.
- The treatment usually lasts 10 to 15 minutes and minimal discomfort is felt during the application.
- The drug is effective only in the injected area and does not interfere with the general circulation.
- Expected effect starts within two weeks after application.
Which Regions are Both Most Applied?
- Horizontal lines on the forehead
- Lines between two eyebrows
- Eye contour lines
- Lines around the mouth
How Much does Botox’s Impact Time Continue?
Botox treatment provides an improvement of 3-6 months. This period can be up to 8-10 months as the applications are repeated. It is not mandatory to continue with Botox treatment and the lines do not return to their original intensity for a long time, even after the effect of the treatment has passed.